Saturday, March 12, 2011

An Afternoon in Mekele

     I just returned home after an afternoon in Mekele. Well, I spent the afternoon in Mekele since I don’t have afternoon classes on Thursday. I have a list of things to get and I walk around town, getting exercise and stopping in the various shops. Some of the vendors give me good prices and so I go back to them when I need something. And of course they remember me and we have a happy greeting time followed by looking for what I need. There is no one shop where you can get everything. Not even specialty shops.
     If you need stuff for school like pens, envelopes, staplers, etc. you may get them at one place; but if you want highlighters, that store may not carry them. Try somewhere else. Same thing with pharmacies: you know how you go to K-Mart or Wal-Mart or Osco back home in the states and they get every single thing you need. Not here. You show them your list of prescription drugs and they tell you which ones you can get there. If they don’t have it, just go somewhere else, maybe they have it.
     I went to the laundry (Mowcha does a great job on our laundry, but my shirts and our dry cleaning need a laundry), three pharmacies, and the furniture store where they were holding a living room set for us. Surprise, they sold it! They tell us they can order from Addis Ababa and have it in just five days. Number one, will it be what we ordered and Number two, will it really be here in five days? Maybe and definitely not. It might be what we ordered, but it won’t be here in five days.
     Then there is the question of delivery. We work Saturday morning, so we asked to get it delivered after noon. After much confusion, I called our friend Mussie. We will rent our own horse cart and pick it up ourselves. What they did have in stock, that is.
     It’s difficult for Americans to understand the way things work here. Going to purchase something doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to find it. Going to the Ministry of Immigration doesn’t mean you will get what you’re looking for. You may not even get a chance to see anyone. Just come back tomorrow. It’s a process, your grind away at something and maybe, after enough tries, you get what you’re after. Maybe.
     Something happened for the first time ever here in Mekele: a boy tried to pick my wallet out of my back pocket. But growing up in New York City has made me very cautious, so as soon as he tugged at my wallet, I had my hand around his wrist. He wriggled free and took off like a shot. This happened in Romanat, a busy section sort of like the Mekele version of Times Square in New York City. I’ve been aggressively asked for money by kids in this area and a beggar hit me on the arm when I gave him the brushoff, but this was the first time anyone has tried to steal from us. We shall remain vigilant when walking in Romanat.
     The bamboo men are getting things done. When they’re finished, we can let Roscoe run to his heart’s content. And we will no longer be living in a fishbowl. Privacy at last.
     The bamboo man and his son met Roscoe tonight and asked what everyone here asks: “Will he bite me?” So we picked him up and let them touch him. Soon they were holding Roscoe themselves and laughing about what a cute little pup he is. Roscoe, the super puppy is also Roscoe the American ambassador.
     I have four classes tomorrow, so I’ll close now and go have dinner. When you think of us, do it kindly, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment